Summers are here and keeping oily skin grease-free is always a challenge. Applying makeup flawlessly and making it last throughout the day can be even tougher. The sebum secretion of oily skin can easily break down the makeup that you wear, making it look smudgy and runny as the day progresses. In this post, I have put together some very simple yet highly effective makeup tips for oily skin. These simple changes in your makeup routine can give you flawless makeup application and get your makeup to last all day.
Here are 10 super makeup tips for oily skin:
1. Always Start with a Primer:
Getting the foundation right is the most important step of your makeup routine. And contrary to popular belief, your foundation isn’t actually the real foundation— it’s the primer! For oily skin, it is ideal to use an oil-controlling or pore-minimizing primer. The primer will act as a barrier between your skin and the makeup, helping it last longer.
IMBB Recommendation: Too Faced Primed & Poreless Skin Smoothing Face Primer
2. Pick an Oil-free, Lightweight Foundation:
Wearing foundation is key, but it’s easy to go wrong with the formula when it comes to oily skin. Stay away from those radiance enhancing and glow boosting foundations. While the dewy skin look may be in, what you need is an oil-free foundation with a matte finish. The foundation should also be lightweight and long-wearing.
IMBB Recommendation: Maybelline Fit Me Matte + Poreless Foundation, MAC Prolong Wear Foundation, MAC Studio Fix Compact Foundation.
3. Don’t Skip the Setting Powder:
Even if you’re wearing an oil-free and long-wearing foundation, finishing the base with a setting powder is a step you cannot skip. You can use a compact powder if you’d like more coverage, otherwise a finely milled loose powder will also do the job.
IMBB Recommendation: MAC Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation, Laura Mercier Translucent Setting Powder
4. Opt for Powder-Based Blush, Bronzer and Highlighter:
Cream blushes, bronzers and highlighters are all the rage in the beauty community these days. But if you have oily skin, then it’s best to steer clear of these glow enhancing products. Instead, go for matte and powder based formulas in all kinds of face products.
IMBB Recommendation: NYX Powder Blush in Mocha
5. Apply Products in Thin Layers:
A key makeup tip for oily skin is to apply every face product in thin and light layers. You can build up the layers as you deem necessary, but piling on too much makeup in one go can makeup your face look heavy and greasy.
6. Use a Makeup Setting Spray:
A makeup fixing spray can go a long way in keeping your face makeup in place all day and all night long. Make sure to choose a formula that is meant for oily skin (and not the radiance boosting fixing sprays).
IMBB Recommendation: Urban Decay All Nighter Long Lasting Setting Spray
7. Carry blotting sheets on the go:
Finally, another handy tip that will help keep your makeup in place is to keep a pack of blotting sheets with you whenever you’re on the go. Use these sheets for quick touch ups every now and then to prevent the excess oil secretions from breaking down your makeup.
8. Apply Minimal Makeup: Less is always more on oily skin. Do not cake up the skin with heavy base makeup that will not allow your skin to breathe and also might clog up your pores. Use a good concealer like MAC Pro Long Concealer or LA Girl HD Pro Concealer to cover up flaws and blemishes, apply just one layer of makeup foundation, and set everything with a matte compact powder. Do not overdo base makeup on oily skin at all.
9. Pick Water-Based Products: Water-based makeup not only is good news for oily skin, it is great to get natural, lightweight finish. In hot temperatures, water-based products would not sweat away, leaving your skin greasy. Our suggestions – Innisfree Water Fit Cushion Foundation, MAC Matchmaster Foundation.
10. Apply an ice cube all over the face before doing makeup/Jamsu Technique: If your face tends to get oily the moment you finish applying makeup, it would be a great idea to rub an ice cube all over the face beginning makeup to close open pores. This technique would ensure your makeup would last longer. Bollywood actress Katrina Kaif made “Jamsu” technique quite popular in India. It’s actually a Korean beauty hack where you dip your whole face with full makeup on in a bowl full of ice cold water. This technique would seal your makeup and make it last throughout the day. Don’t believe us, try it for yourself!
7 Makeup Tips for Round Face
7 Super Quick Ways to Revive and Rejuvenate Your Skin
7 Makeup Tips for Round Face to Look Slim
7 Wonderful Makeup Tips for Aging Skin by Lisa Eldridge
7 Eye Makeup Tips For Round Face
6 Daily Makeup Tips for Oily Skin
10 Steps to Flawless Makeup for Oily Skin
9 Best BB Creams for Oily Skin
7 Best Non-Oxidizing Foundations for Oily Skin
Top 8 Fairness Creams for Oily Skin in India
Daily Makeup Routine For Oily Skin
102 Makeup Tips and Tricks For All Women
50 Best Moisturisers for Oily Acne Prone Skin